Thursday, June 9, 2011

What is this?

Gooooood morning! :D It'll be hot today... :( It's humid and lots of homeworks... My passion toward study sometimes fall like rain, but cheer up! only 1 or 2 months left! ;D

Anyway, today I'd like to introduce you a unique dish. It is "Japanese Potato Cake" Yeah-----!!! haha
Actually this is like "gnocchi", or "Nyokki" in Japanese. However, I tried to cook it with Japanese way so "Japanese style gnocchi!"

Ingredients: (Serves 1 or 2)
*2 Potatoes (I chose May queen this time.)
*Potato starch, or Katakuriko (Usually gnocchi contains cheese, but I used potato starch instead of cheese.)
*A sauce in which to dip soba/ Mentsuyu
*Sugar
*Sweet sake for seasoning

How to cook?
First of all, pare potatoes and cut them into small pieces so that it is more easy to mash.
Secondly, put cut potatoes into Silicon steamer and nuke it for 4 minutes.

After that, mash those potatoes! This is my favorite part! :D

When you mashed potatoes enough, add a tablespoonful of Potato Starch and let's start handicraft!!!!!!! Wash your hands and knead dough. (Please please please wash your hand before you start kneading in order to avoid food poisoning such as O-157.)

Then, pluck a bit of the kneaded potato and make a small oval, or like a red blood corpuscle like the picture below. :)


These are the seasonings. From left side, Sugar, Japanese sause which dip soba and sweet sake.


Ok--! We have now come to the most exciting part of the cooking!!!! Let's saute and simmer them with a pan. ;D

Put a teaspoonful of oil (I chose sesame oil to stimulate the appetite! ) and saute them.



Browned the oval potatoes and put all seasonings. (Sweet Sake, Sugar and sauce. If you like sweet one, you can put 2 or 3 teaspoonfuls of sugar. ;) *When you put some seasonings, be careful!!!! Please make the heat weak not to burn. Sugar is easily burned black! :(

Simmer them for a while and HAPPY-------------! Dish up the potatoes and let's EAT!


This is my cooking show for today. :D

Thank you for reading the recipe and try it when you have time. If you have any question about the recipe or me? haha Please leave a comment here.

Thank you! ;D

6 comments:

  1. Hello,Nana.
    I like gnocchi and your japanesse style recipe looks easy to cook.I wanna try it soon!
    I have a question,is there another ingredient instead of Sweet sake?
    Because I don't have it in my kitchen:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Yuki. ;D Yes, it's pretty easy.
    mmm... :( You don't have Mirin? Then, you do not need it. ;) It is just making some glaze and sweetness.

    Hope you enjoy this recipe. Thanx!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,I'm male Yuki!

    Your recipe is easy to undestand!
    And I wanna try it and eat as a snack soon because now I have a lot of potatoes!haha
    And I'm gonna make it with other sort of seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuki! Hi! ;D Thanks.
    I think this potatoes will be a good friend of your snack time! hehe

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gnocchi! But I always eat it with sausage, cheese and tomato sauce. I've never thought about making a Japanese version. It looks really good. What other dishes do you eat with your Japanese gnocchi?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Rochell. Oh, cheese and tomato sauce... sounds nice!
    It was like Simmered potato and side dish so I ate cooked fish with it. ;)
    Thanks.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete