Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rooooooooll cake!!!

Hellooooo! Here is a cake eater!!!! hahaha :D
Recently I am eating cakes everyday because my boss allowed me to bring some cakes back to my home with freeeeee! That's seldom happens though... It is like a dream. There are cake, cake, cake, cake...inside of the fridge. It's crazy!!! Actually, I've already eaten most of them. It may be time for me to think about DIETING!!!!! ewwwww...

This is the cake that I ate today. We usually call it as "Roll cake", but in English the name is "Swiss roll" and in French, "Roulade". It is interesting that one thing has different name in different country. Today, I will write about the origin of this cake. The roll cake we eat in Japan is originally from Swiss so in English name is Swiss roll. Roll cake was brought in Japan with other sweets such as castella in Edo era.

Look! This is a character called "Ku ru ru". I found this on the internet site. There is a Roll cake study group in Japan. omg... Moreover, there is a special day for Roll cake and it is June 6th. The reason why 6.6 is the cut end of the cake. You can see 6! Yes!!!! You can!!! Can't you? No, you can probably... For me, it seems like "no, の" in Japanese. haha Do you know Japanese food that the origin is Roll cake? Most of the Japanese know and eat it in new year! It is one of the Japanese traditional food... That's "Date-maki"!!! It's surprising fact, but "Date-maki"'s origin is Roll cake! Now a day, there are various kinds of roll cake in Japan such as Matcha, Fruits inside of it, soybean flour flavor and even "Anmitsu". (Anmitsu is a Japanese traditional sweet and it is bean jam, agar and pieces of fruit served in syrup) What a creative!! I'd like to try some of them.

That's all what I've found about Roll cake. Did you have fun? If you know anything about swiss roll, please tell me. :) I like to eat not only cake, but also knowledge. ;p

Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. hi:) you can take cakes with freeee!? lucky for you but...im soooo jealous!lol

    i was also suprised to realize that Date-maki is kind of Roll cake! thats interesring.
    i recommend 100 yen Lowson's Roll cake. there are 2 roll cakes in one pack and its only 100yen.of course its taste good! please try that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyyyy!!! Yuka! Thanks for leaving your comment here. :)
    Oh, usually my boss, or the shop never allow me to bring them free. haha It is quite rare.

    100yen roll cake? woooo... I should try it sooner or later. I know one of the Lowson's roll cake called "Mochi-Fuwa roll" or something? My heart used to be captured it. haha

    Thanx for your roll cake information anyway. ;)
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for leaving your comment Yuka.
    I can take them, but it never happens oftenly.

    Yep, Japanese traditional food is originally from foreign sweet!
    I know Lowson's Roll cakes! I like it, too. "Mochi-Fuwa Roll" is my best. haha

    Thanks!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,Nana! I'm Maiko:)
    I really enjoyed your blog.
    Oyatsuno Roll is yummy and handy size cake, isn't it?
    I surprised the origin of roll cake!
    Perhaps put whipped cream on datemaki is delicious :D haha
    Reccently, my shop do not order "fruits roll" and "chocolate roll with strawberry and banana".
    I think these cake are hopeful to selling.
    How about your shop?

    ReplyDelete