Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Candy sculpture

Hello, it is getting hot and humid each day... Summer has come eventually. haha During the summer vacation, we have lots of opportunities to go to Matsuri, festival. Matsuri is originally spiritual, religious event in Japan. People carry portable shrine on their sholders and thanked and hoped their harvest. When you go to Matsuri, you can see variety of food wagons both sides of a road. They are selling Takoyaki, Banana covered with chocolate, Okonomiyaki, drinks and so on. They are all nice, but my favorite is Candy sculpture. Do you know what it is?
They are candies which looks like animal or characters. The animals in the picture below are all made from candy.

It's just amazing, isn't it? They have various kind of shape. Some of them are animals really exist, but the others are shaping dragon, superman and famous characters. My favorite picture is the right one which has 4 sculpture and they are frogs and monkey mother and its kid and rabbit. I like their subtle color...

This is a picture of a man who is making candy sculpture. Seems skilled man... eh? I just remembered my childhood memory...



Since I was a child, I really like candy sculpture. When I go to Matsuri, I always buy it. Sometimes I can't find the candy sculpture wagon, but if there is the wagon, I buy. I like candy sculpture because they are all small and cute. Usually I couldn't eat it because of the reason. However, I once asked a man who was making candy sculpture at a festival whether I should eat the candy or not. (I think I was an elementary school student. hehe) Then, the man answered,

"It is very nice to keep the candy in your fridge, girl, but if it is possible, I would love you to eat it because those candies were born to be eaten."
After I got my home, I ate the candy. It was really sweet and I can till remember the taste. haha

Born to be eaten...

It's like a phrase in movie or something, right? haha I think I was a little girl so the man said like that. Now I'm not a girl anymore so I think I know what he really wanted to say. If I keep the candy in fridge, I can see it whenever I like, but one day I might have to throw it away. That may be because the candy become old or something happen, but it is very wasteful so the man might ask me to eat the candy. In order to avoid candy to be thrown. ;)

I think his idea is coming from his love toward candy. (exactly "sweet memory", huh?)


I talked about candy sculpture only in Matsuri, but Candy sculpture is becoming art and one of the Japanese candy sculpture creator made this marvelous candy art below.


It's cluster amaryllis and a peacock. They are really made from candy. I've never seen this size of candy sculpture, but if I had any opportunity, I'd love to!!!!!!

I will put a link of how to make candy sculpture here so if you are interested in, check it out.


Thank you!!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Nana!
    Thank you for telling your good memory.
    I agree with your idea, a beauiful candy sculpture is too good to eat!
    I hope you meet the candy wagon again.
    and I will find the interesting candies at summer festival:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for leaving a comment.
    Yeah, if you found any candy sculpture, please let me know!!!
    Thanx!

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    Candy sculpture is really amazing!!
    I like to go matsuri, but I've seen the wagon only once:(
    There are not a lot workman like him, I guess...

    I think it give children a dream:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misaki, Hi.
    Yes, it is kinda rare to find the wagon.
    Once I've been to Asakusa, I've seen that one.
    You might be able to see it if you have opportunity to go.

    Yes, it is very fancy...
    Thanx.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete